Critical Reflection

 Module Learning

Before this module started, I believed that proficiency in writing and communication would allow me to excel in this module with minimal effort, and this module would help me to refresh these skills. However, as the module draws to a close, I have realised that this assumption of mine was very naive. The journey through this module has emphasised that there is ample room for significant improvement.


A memorable experience within this module was the Summary Reader Response assignment. The task required me to conduct extensive research which also served as an eye-opener which allowed me to explore and research different engineering fields. Learning how to use tools like ChatGPT to generate research ideas also broadened my horizons. However, after getting back the feedback for the drafts, I realised that I tend to have fractured sentences and issues with APA7 citations. These were errors that were essential for future uses, and it is under your tutorage that I was able to learn and correct my existing mistakes.


This reflection allowed me to reconsider my initial overconfidence in my skills, reshaping it into a motivation for continual improvement. This module has shown me that growth in communication skills - both written and oral, is a never-ending process, and this process requires an open mind to build these skills. Equipped with a newfound awareness of areas that can be improved upon, I look forward to tackling future challenges with the skills and mindset that I have acquired in this class.


As you would say, Ganbatte!


Project Learning


The oral presentation aspect of this project was the most memorable and challenging. Shifting from the mindset of report writing to delivering a presentation required a significant adjustment. The task involved condensing and simplifying research details to convey key points effectively. Designing visually appealing slides became crucial, keeping only essential information to keep the audience's focus on the speaker. As I practised, keeping note of pacing, volume, and content delivery was essential, ensuring the audience to not feel overwhelmed with content. 


This oral presentation provided me with feedback from my peers and Professor Brad and became a valuable tool for identifying areas of improvement, such as the use of informal language to address the audience. 


Lessons from these challenges are more than just presentation skills, practising the art of delivery and polishing my use of language. These challenges can be addressed with more practice. Beyond excelling at school and work, I aspire to improve my communication skills for more effective interaction in all aspects of life.


Lastly, to end the reflection, I would like to thank you, Professor Brad and my classmates, for your hard work and collaboration. The different perspectives and constructive feedback that was gathered have enhanced my learning journey. I am grateful for the knowledge and experiences gained and look forward to applying these lessons in future endeavours.


Here's to the end of one chapter and the beginning of many more. Cheers.

Comments

  1. Thanks very much, WeiJie, for this detailed reflection and for all your effort to develop your skills. Ganbatte indeed!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Self Introduction

Interpretation of Quote